Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please print and post -

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:39:18 +1300

OK, we have seen lots of comments about why this message was a bad idea and we have had a useful reminder from Valdis
as to why cryptographic signatures are not a panacea, but no one has addressed the question "how should this have been
done?"  This may be because many of us think it is obvious but I spell out one approach anyway.

From my point of view the first problem was the complete lack of context in the email.  Much of the spam these days
consists on just a single line of text (often an instruction) and a link.  So a couple of sentences of explanation
would have gone a long way to allaying suspicions.

The second issue as many folk have pointed out is the pdf.  Just about everything that produces pdf will also produce
html.  Having a link to a html version on a official web site or even the pdf on such a site would be better.

Cheers, Russell.