Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please print and post - changing approach

From: Walter Petruska <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 07:59:13 -0700

Here's a different take (not that I disagree with the other observations):

1.) We use Google for our mail system, and as such, I viewed the
document using Google's 'view document' function which safely
generates a rendering of the .pdf in the browser, rather than
downloading anything to my computer.

2.) I enjoyed viewing the attached poster pages, and reading about a
whole day of activities and speakers who are working to educate their
communities about security risks and what they can do to protect
themselves.

That was, I believe, the intention of the poster's creation.

I will not be in the area that day, so I can not attend or participate
myself. However I wish the event planners good luck and great
attendance.

Most of us have a direct charge of educating members of the Higher
Education community to security threats and safeguards, so we know how
hard a task it is to put together a good program and get people to
'tune in'.

Perhaps this incident can serve another good by being an object lesson
shared with the attendees about how to effectively preface or
introduce material attached to an e-mail.

It may not have been intentional, but the poster- even unread by many
here- has served the greater purpose of cyber safety education; and
spawned lively conversation and debate within another higher education
community right here in this listserve.

Happy National Cyber Security Month!

-Walter Petruska
University of San Francisco