Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Auto-update versus "going green"

From: Alan Amesbury <amesbury () OITSEC UMN EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:05:30 -0500

Parker, Ron wrote:

That is what we do. We wake the machines up every Thursday night at
11:00 to install patches, updates, etc. It is a strange sight to be
here late at night and see all the lab computers come on.
[snip]

Any idea what the inrush current does when all the machines power up simultaneously? I've noticed that some of the newer Dell servers (the R410, for example) have the ability to randomly sleep before automatically powering up after power loss. The goal is to prevent a bunch of systems from powering up simultaneously and generating a huge inrush current; staggered starts are safer.

I suppose if you only have a couple computers per circuit it doesn't matter, but some labs might be higher density than that.

--
Alan Amesbury
OIT Security and Assurance