Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Auto-update versus "going green"

From: "Koerber, Jeff" <jkoerber () TOWSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:44:38 -0400

I set the BIOS on all of my computers to power up at a certain time when updates are scheduled to run.  One hour later,
I have Ghost Console run a script that deletes profiles, defrags and shuts down the computers.

Students turn on the computers as they use them.  During summer only a fraction of my computers are turned on at any
time.

I also use Ghost Console to run a task five minutes before closing that gives a 5 minute countdown and shuts down the
computers.

If you do this, I would have a shortcut under Program Files where your staff can runas and abort the shutdown.  I would
also have a Ghost Console task that you can run on demand to abort (shutdown -a) the shutdown in case you forget to
change the schedule :)

You could use the Windows Scheduler instead of Ghost Console, but that makes it more difficult to change the schedule.

Jeff Koerber
Supervisor, Student Computing Services Lab and Service Desk
Office of Technology Services
Towson University

-----Shutdown Script-----
shutdown -s -f -t 300 -c "The lab is closing and this computer will shut down when the timer reaches zero.  You can
move this box out of the way and save your work now."
-----End of File-----