Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption experiences

From: Allison F Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:12:55 -0500

Randy

Like all good regulations, the wording is ambiguous.

The whole 'Computer System Security Requirements' section is prefaced with 'the extent technically feasible', and the
specific reference to laptops is simply  "Encryption of all personal information stored on laptops or other portable
devices"

In talking with the regulators, it sounded like their thinking was influenced by the number of lost or stolen laptops,
USBs and such, and thus they were thinking of the situation when the machine is powered off.  Since MA doesn't have an
automatic safe harbor for encryption, there are those who believe that if you can show that the data was encrypted at
the time of the loss/theft, then the AG may agree you don't need to notify.

(Given the limitations of FDE, we really push the mantra " you can't lose what you don't have"; if you have to have
such info, then there is a laundry list of requirements, including, but not limited to, FDE on laptops)

......Allison  Dolan (617-252-1461)