Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption- Follow-up

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:32:00 -0700

Having worked in the Fed/R&D sector for many years - I'm reminded of what our Chief Info Security Officer used to tell
us and fed auditors:  ....If you want to try and solve all your sensitive data problems with technology, the first
thing you'll need to outlaw is pencils and paper - because sensitive data can walk out on a pad of paper, as well as on
a laptop....

Sorry - I just always liked when he threw that observation out to the auditor types - they always got the "something in
the punchbowl" look, closed their briefcases and left for the day....