Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption- Follow-up

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:21:00 -0700

 When we deployed full disk encryption, the distinction we made was
whether or not the laptop was for class-room only use or administrative
use. Thus, we didn't encrypt check out laptops, laptop ovens used in a
class, etc. All faculty laptops were encrypted, as were all staff laptops.

 In the first few years of our deployment, we frequently received feedback
from staff and faculty that they should be exempt since they did not have
confidential data on their laptops. For us, it was hard to see how staff
and faculty could selectively avoid working on confidential data so we
made the decision to generally limit exceptions to the rule.

Brian Basgen
Information Security Office
Pima Community College
Office: 520-206-4873