Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Universities riskiest place for SSN

From: David Escalante <david.escalante () BC EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:32:30 -0500

On Nov 8, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Dan Peterson wrote:

I agree that High-Ed does report things that private industry does not;
however, why does Higher-Ed need the student SSN in the first place

There are a host of reasons, a few examples...:

- Student employees on work-study have their wages reported to the government.
- Students with federally guaranteed student loans are reported to the government.
- Students provide the information to the College Board while in high school and it comes in over the transom with
SATs, sometimes before the student has actually filed an application, and it is therefore useful, though maybe not
required,  in Admissions to differentiate between potential applicants with the same name.
- The NCAA uses it and requires it in reporting regarding recruiting activities.
- Individual contractors paid directly instead of through a company must be reported to the government.
- Speakers receiving honoraria must be reported to the government.
- Regular employees' wages must be reported to the government.

Morrow's comments overlap mine, so I'll stop there. :-)
--
David Escalante