Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Universities riskiest place for SSN

From: Judith House <housej () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:23:32 -0500

It's required for Federal financial aid, tax reporting, Medicare/Medicaid
reporting, and a few other more exotic reasons.  I think part of the issue
here is the difference between collecting and retaining SSNs and using them
as an identifier on the record.

Given the federal requirements, we can't really eliminate the collection of
SSNs.  However, we can (and most of us do by now) use another identifier.

Agreed, universities are open about data loss, potential loss, and breach.
I just read a report from Verizon
(http://www.verizonbusiness.com/resources/security/databreachreport.pdf)
which shows Higher Ed is a very small proportion of the actual data loss
over all -- it's a very interesting report in many ways.

Judith F House
Associate University Information Security Officer
Georgetown University
3300 Whitehaven NW, Ste. 2000
Washington, DC 20007
housej () georgetown edu