Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Universities riskiest place for SSN

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:36:20 -0600

On 11/8/2010 3:12 PM, Dan Peterson wrote:

I agree that High-Ed does report things that private industry does not;
however, why does Higher-Ed need the student SSN in the first place
There are several reports to Federal and, in our case, state agencies that require SSNs. And there are loads of former students that still have interactions with the University. We officially replaced SSNs with a "UIN" in 2005, but we're still cleaning out legacy grade sheets, etc.

--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti