Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firesheep/Cain& Able

From: Matt Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 14:42:32 -0400

...and the false sense of security.

I'm struggling with this as well as one of my network admins suggested this.  Technically it limits the effect of
Firesheep alone, but to me it seems like fixing the threat and not the vulnerability.  Nothing stops someone from using
Cain & Abel once they connect to the password-protected network.  Sure it's  better than being wide open, but telling
someone "we did it to protect from Firesheep" when it only kinda protects from Firesheep in certain situations is hard
to message properly and leaves users exposed.  It's a false sense of security.

And it could be useless against the next attack tool, leaving us to explain to our users, "Well, the password works for
'Firesheep', but it doesn't really help with 'Firegoat', so now you have to be careful on password-protected public
networks...".  Again-- hard to message.

Which brings up the question, how would we educate users that distinguish a password-protected public wireless network
from a trusted wireless network?  Users have a clear understanding of what a public, untrusted network is (well, in
general), but throwing a password on it muddies the water.  Another question-- if you password-protect your public
wireless by using the SSID as the password because its "more secure", are your users going to incorrectly think that's
sufficient for their home networks?

One of the worst part of this solution is that once you put a password on it to thwart Firesheep now, it's hard to go
back after its hype and popularity dies down.

I'm not saying it's a bad solution as much as I'm saying it's a dangerous solution.  Unfortunately, telling users that
they shouldn't use social networking sites on public Wi-Fi is as well, because its (arguably) unreasonable/no one
listens.

Thanks,

Matt Giannetto
Director of IT Security