Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firesheep/Cain& Able

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:20:32 -0700

  I remember, a few years back, taking a sysadmin to task for an email that
basically told users just "You should be afraid to use email."  I can't see
that "You should be afraid to use Web 2.0." is much of an improvement.
Threat warnings need to include some kind of useful advice, something
recipients can do to reduce their exposure.

We're going to experiment with WPA2; I expect we'll roll that out to our
production wireless networks soon.  And in the meantime, I've added "HTTPS
Everywhere" to the Firefox add-ons on all the machines I personally use or
administer.

David Gillett