Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: National Cyber Security Awareness Month Metrics?

From: Allison F Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:51:48 -0400

Some 'pulse of the community' type measures we've used include

-- in a large meeting of financial/administrative officers, mixed in with their usual topics, were a couple 'show of
hands' type questions on data security.  (The group was too large to actually count hands, but the number of raised
hands was gratifying.)

-- as part of a vendor fair hosted by Procurement, there was an invitation to enter a drawing by filling in a short
computer security questionnaire; the responses gave us a sense of what people knew and didn't know.

For institutions that have implemented Identity Finder's console version, there are reports that could be useful,
especially if correlated when specific awareness messages have gone out.

There may be learnings from hospitals about what has worked re: awareness of practices like hand washing, and changing
gloves etc.  Somehow they know when hand washing increases. (and computer security has some of the same characteristics
of behaviors/practices that need to be done all the time, not just once, or in special circumstances.)

Allison F. Dolan
Protecting PII
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave  NE49-3021