Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firesheep/Cain& Able

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () UCCS EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:27:54 -0600

Dan, I’ve also used it and yes it does what it says it does.  It is basically a dumbed down sniffer that will only show
you HTTP session cookies.  You could do the same thing with Wireshark by capturing packets and weeding through the
data, however Firesheep is dangerous since it is a very specific very easy way to get at the data.  To see if it
actually is working on your machine, just run a span port off one of your switches, and you’ll probably see hundreds of
sessions.  Like Justin said, if your network is switched or you have security measures in place to prevent ARP
poisoning across your wireless network, you won’t get much.