Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: student wireless security model

From: "Dergenski, Todd A." <TDergens () ODU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:32:19 -0400

Unencrypted, LDAP Authenticated.

We use to run 802.1x against AD, but ran into significant client support issues.  Now, we anchor them to the top and
treat them as any other external user.  Access to any internal resource(printers, faculty file system, ERP...) requires
VPN and all sensitive/important sites are running SSL (as they should be anyways).  We are not against running an
encrypted version, but client(win, mac, *nix) support was an issue with the previous system.

Todd Dergenski
Old Dominion University
Senior Security Administrator
4700 Elkhorn Ave - Room 4300
Norfolk, Va, 23529 USA

(757) 683-4301
tdergens () odu edu<mailto:tdergens () odu edu>