Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Requires Encryption?

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:17:48 -0600

Dear Mike,

Yours is a very logical approach and I cannot disagree with you technically,
however, the regulatory environment has factors, which often drive a
decision.  When it comes to sensitive personal information such as what we
deal with in HIPAA, there is always the issue of liability and its
attractive effects on attorneys.  In that light, some things are simply
expected and when they are not there, the organization's liability based on
perception increases significantly.  Explaining to a jury why technically
encryption is not necessary takes time and exposes any technical argument to
a counter technical argument.  In the end, the jury may well throw up its
hands and cancel the experts out, which leaves the attorney with the simple
question of "How could they justify leaving this data unencrypted just to
save a few dollars?"  or "Everyone knows that encryption protects privacy
and yet they did not care enough to spend a few dollars more to protect my
clients' most private information?"  Anyway, my two cents worth is that it
is just not worth the risk because encryption has become a kind of expected
elixir, which, whether effective or not, affects overall risks and
liabilities -

Great points in your e-mail though -

Ozzie