Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Requires Encryption?

From: Paul Kendall <PKendall () ACCUDATASYSTEMS COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:34:49 -0500

Also, take into consideration whether any state laws may apply. The Texas Medical Privacy Act (2001), for example,
requires 'Any person (or organization) who engages in the practice of assembling, collecting, analyzing, using,
evaluating, storing, or transmitting PHI, etc.".

State law in this case would supersede and the entity would be required to follow HIPAA mandates.

Paul