Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Requires Encryption?

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:33:45 -0600

Doesn't the question of "should we encrypt" vs "do we have to encrypt" with ANY kind of data, (HIPAA, or any other)
also depend on the state of the data?  Is the data "at rest" and other protections are already in place?.....or is the
data "in transit" and open? (ie, being e-mailed or copied across WAN links?).....or is the data "in use", and still
protected because there's an authorized user monitoring the screen...??

I used to deal with highly sensitive data and for us, it always came down to "....it depends...".  Policy always had to
come down to the circumstances behind the how, why, where, and when associated with the use of the data....trying to
adhere to a "one policy fits all" situation was a losing proposition....

Just my $.02.....