Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Requires Encryption?

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:19:15 -0600

Hey Matthew,

HIPAA does not require it, but any reasonable cost estimate will show that
it is worth it.  The risks and costs of dealing with unencrypted lost data
is so much higher that it is a risk not worth taking, particularly if you
already have the infrastructure in place.  Hope it helps,

Ozzie Paez
SSE/SAIC
303-332-5363