Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Archiving/Enterprise Information Archiving

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:50:07 -0500

If you're an Exchange shop, I believe that Symantec has a product,
Vault, to help with this.  I don't think it could be classified as
"cheap" though.  I'm not a vendor, nor a (Vault) customer, but I'm aware
of the product.  YMMV.

- ken

Jesse Thompson wrote:
I don't think that you are wrong, but there is a strong head wind.

It costs less to store all messages indefinitely than it costs to have
each employee spend the time cleaning and organizing their mailboxes.
Then consider the administrative cost involved with coercing/reminding
staff into cleaning mailboxes.  Then there is the cost in recovering
important purged messages that were not saved due to [insert reason
here].  Multiply this by thousands of employees, and e-discovery
lawyers start to look cheap.

Costs aside.  People are just plain lazy, or they are pack rats.  I'm
one of them.  Didn't someone prove that the people with the messiest
desks are the most productive?  Is it too far of a stretch to reason
that a clean-email policy might make your organization less productive?

Perhaps your idea might work if there was an intermediate stage where
mail was automagically moved to a place where the messages were still
easily accessible (and recoverable by the employee) for an extended
period of time before they are purged.  Although, I'm not sure if this
would solve your e-discovery woes.

Jesse Thompson (an email admin)
University of Wisconsin-Madison