Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Archiving/Enterprise Information Archiving

From: Clifford Collins <collinsc () FRANKLIN EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:27:04 -0400

We are in the midst of sorting out what to do with e-mail and other sensitive documents in terms of data retention and
destruction. I am interested in knowing why you permit folks to keep e-mail indefinitely. It sounds like an e-discovery
nightmare and mis-application of e-mail.

Let me give you my context. If you were still dealing with U.S. postal mail then would people be leaving the original
correspondence folded back in their envelopes, stored in cartons with labels like "vendors" or "personal" on them,
sitting on their desk? Probably not. They would file them in folders in a personal or deprtmental filing cabinet (you
remember the rows of filing cabinets) or just throw them away (or maybe shred them). As the filing cabinets begin to
bulge with documents the staff would periodically be forced to clean them out (perhaps according to some retention
policy).

Because we allow the bad habit of not saving important correspondence in a folder on our departmental share where it
belongs but, instead, leave it in a folder in our e-mail, our mail system has become our personal and departmental
filing cabinet. After all, it is too easy to just leave it there instead of putting it where the department can find
it! And thus e-mail accounts bloat with stuff that doesn't get purged. And when we reach our storage quota (the filing
cabinets are full) we beg for more space because disks are cheap! And our legal counsel gets heartburn!

Wouldn't it be better to require people to save important documents to the departmental or personal share they are
assigned and automagically expunge all messages that are more than six months old? That way, people are forced to
decide whether to keep it. Otherwise, it will be trashed according to the University's retention and destruction
schedule. Also, the departmental data steward has to periodically review what is in the departmental share and expunge
useless or expired information that might violate that same policy and possibly become fodder for an e-discovery. No
different from clearing out old stuff from the physical filing cabinets.

Sorry for the flow of consciousness. We had a close brush with e-discovery a while back and woke up to the cost of
diverting our IT department to the arduous task of restoring EVERYTHING from years back and finding every message that
pertained to the subject of the litigation. Big $$$$$$!! and stopping everything else in IT for several weeks or even
months! We began to question whether backups should be "ooops protection" for the careless staff member or should exist
for disaster recovery only and merely go back two major backup sets (fulls and incrementals). This way staff are
responsible for taking the "correspondence" they receive out of the "envelope" (the e-mail system) and filing it in the
appropriate "filing cabinet" (shared drive). The shares get backed up regularly and can be restored if something
important got deleted but would involve the data steward (and a little bit of grief for the user) as it should. Going
back to the USPS analogy, imagine the look you would get from your postal carrier if you asked him to give you a backup
copy of a letter he delivered two days ago! Why do we expect this of our e-mail services? And think of the savings in
backups!

I don't know. Am I making any sense? We've allowed people to embrace the wrong analogy with the way they use e-mail. It
is a message delivery mechanism and not a document storage mechanism (despite the tools they find in the mail
software). We need to retrain folks to file important stuff in the right place and not leave "boxes of mail" in their
opened envelopes sitting around on our desks (perhaps a poor analogy) waiting for one to accidentally slide into the
trash or worse, get discovered by a litigant's lawyer who relishes e-mail pack rats.

If I am wrong then somebody set me straight or put me out of my misery!

Clifford A. Collins
Information Security Officer
Franklin University
201 South Grant Avenue