Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email Archiving/Enterprise Information Archiving

From: "Feehan, Patrick" <Patrick.Feehan () MONTGOMERYCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:22:52 -0400

We are in the process of evaluating an e-mail archiving solution for Montgomery College.  Our initial reason to
consider e-mail archiving was to meet the storage challenge and email retention issues.  We use Exchange, Outlook, and
Outlook Web Access.

We note, in the process, that Gartner is retiring the E-Mail Active Archiving Magic Quadrant and replacing it with a
new Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Information Archiving.  Is the concept of email archiving as a siloed activity
already past its prime?

Have any of your schools using Exchange implemented an e-mail archiving solution?  If so, did you look for a tool that
goes beyond e-mail to assist with e-discovery, legal holds, SharePoint files, electronic information archiving, records
management policies, etc?  If yes, which features/capabilities did you decide were important?

Was ability to grow into enterprise information archiving important to you?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer.

Patrick J. Feehan JD, CIPP
Director of IT Privacy & Cybersecurity Compliance
Montgomery College
(240) 567-3087
patrick.feehan () montgomerycollege edu<mailto:Patrick.Feehan () montgomerycollege edu>