Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: computer security vision for next 3-5 years

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:17:29 -0800

On 01/12/10 08:24, Youngquist, Jason R. wrote:
My boss asked me this morning to come up with a computer security vision for the next 3-5 years.  Since it is already 2010,
I thought I'd get some input from the community on what would you like to see happen to computer security in higher
education, how will your job change (if any), and how can we as computer security professionals in higher education
institutions best protect against the growing threats?

In addition to what's been written in this thread already:

o SQL injection attacks and other application-level attacks will
continue to be prevalent, as existing security methods will not be able
to deal with application vulnerabilities as effectively as they have
dealt with other issues.

o Security groups in higher-ed that have a top-down approach to security
will become more agile and will need to integrate more with IT
operations and application development.

o Similarly, we'll see fewer security groups reporting directly to the
CIO and more organizational integration of security.

o Subject-matter experts (e.g. security-aware DBAs, security-aware
application programmers, security-aware network engineers, etc.) will
become more important that straight security experts in dealing with new
rounds of threats, although security experts will still play a role.

o The above changes will not be without controversy, but will probably
be necessary.

michael