Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: computer security vision for next 3-5 years

From: "McCrary, Barbara" <bmccrary () OGSLP ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:58:26 -0600

Our future security toolboxes need to contain Host Intrusion Protection,
(HIPS), Data Classification, Data Protection and good, mature Data
Retention tools.

Future plans should address the need to, as much as possible, auto
protect wherever possible, against the unintended as well as the
intended threats and the need to make aware and involve upper management
and business groups all along the way.

Awareness should be addressed to facilitate user's daily awareness as
opposed to only spotty training that is reactionary or simply provided
to meet a requirement. Our future needs to build this in daily.

Barbara McCrary
Chief Information Security Officer
MCSE, MCSE:Security, +Messaging, CompTia:Security+

bmccrary () ogslp org

421 NW 13th, Ste 250
Oklahoma City, OK  73103
405 234.4316 office
405 234.4321 cell
405 234.4588 fax

Note:  This communication and attachments, if any, are intended solely
for the use of the addressee hereof.  In addition, this information and
attachments, if any, may contain information that is confidential,
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law, including,
but not limited to, the Privacy Act of 1974.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading,
disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using
this information.  If you have received this message in error, please
promptly notify the sender and immediately, delete this communication
from your system.