Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:54:47 -0400

I'll "pick" at just one item in the write up :-)

This made me smile just a bit:

"I now cringe when I hear the phrase "Best Practice" when applied to security -- I have come to believe that this means
that the speaker can't be bothered (or lacks the expertise) to do any analysis and is simply trotting out something
'safe'."

Really?  They are considered best practices, common knowledge, the way to do things, (pick your semantic here), etc.
because a lot of folks (smarter than I am, I bet) spent the time to analyze, research and come up with a best practice
and that's how NIST, ISO, COBIT, etc. get produced.  Since most of the Information Security/Assurance best practices
also allow for flexibility in design and deployment I have to ask why in the heck would a security professional not
want to make use of them when making business decisions? (that is a rhetorical question but feel free to answer it
anyways).  Of course if I didn't have to espouse or make reference to best practices I could create the world according
to Kevin and that would be a most interesting place indeed heh heh heh (said evilly while rubbing hands together  :-)

-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin,  CISM, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Assistant Vice President, Information Security & Special Projects
University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and its content is confidential, intended solely for the addressee, and may
be legally privileged. Access to this message and its content by any individual or entity other than those identified
in this message is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of this
e-mail may be unlawful. Any action taken or omitted due to the content of this message is prohibited and may be
unlawful.