Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Emergency Communication Tools

From: Michael Sana <msana () HPU EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:24:50 -1000

Aloha!

We have been using the following three pronged approach:

1.       RAVE to notify users of emergency situations only via text message/email.  Servers stored offsite so you can
still log in to send messages  if local network is down.

2.       Singlewire (Burbee) for emergency notifications sent directly to IP phones.  This comes in the form of an
audio blast and optional text message that appears on the VOIP phone screen.

3.       Front page updates via the University Web portal - assuming during the emergency situation that the network is
available

mike.sana.

Michael C. Sana MSIA, CISSP, CISM, CISA
Information Security Officer
Information Technology Services Division

Hawai`i Pacific University
1132 Bishop St. Suite 307
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
Telephone: (808) 687-7034
Fax: (808) 544-1404
Email: msana () hpu edu<mailto:msana () hpu edu>

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"