Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: significant incoming SSH volume

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:24:32 -0400

Yes .. we saw 116 addresses doing brute force attacks last night (list attached) .. last number is the count of tries.

For your amusement, I've also included the list of ID's that were tried.

We monitor all logs and look for a successful login from any address that is attacking, that way we know what IDs to
zap.

Other than that, we ignore them :-)

Thanks,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel