Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: anyone using OSSIM....

From: "E. Todd Atkins" <todd.atkins () UCSB EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:32:53 -0700

Russell Fulton wrote:
We have just set up a default install of OSSIM and first impressions are favourable -- what seems to be lacking is
decent documentation -- presumably you get this when you buy the commercial version.

Does anyone have any notes/experience in using OSSIM with several different snort sensors that run different rule
sets and need to be treated separately?

Or even for getting snort data in from sensors on other machines...

I've been running OSSIM with snort running on a remote ossim sensor
since last year. Here is how to get data from the remote sensors...

    Set up your remote snort sensor set up to do unified logging
    Install ossim-agent
    Enable the snortunified plugin
    Check to make sure the plugin file has the correct settings
    Restart ossim-agent

On the OSSIM console...
    Go to Assets -> SIEM Components and add the sensor

Note that alerts must have a defined plugin_sid within ossim to be
logged, so you have to add any custom or 3rd party rules by hand. I
added mine directly to the database since I didn't see any other way and
had quite a few to add. You can see the ones that are defined under
Configuration -> Collection.

--
E. Todd Atkins
Office of Information Technology