Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: significant incoming SSH volume

From: "Michael J. Wheeler" <mwheeler () PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:03:39 -0500

On 3/16/2010 3:07 PM, Justin Sipher wrote:
Hello all. We have seen a drastic uptick in recent days for inbound SSH
connections to many of our servers. These connection are attempting to
connect to our servers as ROOT and are coming from IP addressed
appearing to be mostly overseas. They number in the thousands of
connections. While we are confident in the strength of our passwords, as
you know with enough effort.......

My questions to this group are:

    * Is anyone else seeing this?

Our main administrative system (AIX) has had more than 350k failed ssh
logins in the last 6 months. That's around 2000 a day. We've written a
custom "shell" that everyone uses. It's your /etc/password shell entry and
acts like a "login handler passthrough". It adds some features like:

1) Per-user IP restrictions. Suzy can SSH in from her computer's IP only.
Her login won't work from John's computer IP, and vice versa. So, even if
Suzy's password is compromised, it only works from her desk.
2) Concurrent session restrictions: Suzy is able to have 3 concurrent
sessions from 2 different IPs (rule #1 permitting). Or, Suzy can have 2
concurrent sessions, but only from the same IP.

There are more rules than mentioned, but you get the idea. Assuming all
these rules are met, your session is then handed off to your preferred
shell (bash, ksh, etc) and your session acts like normal.

    * Are you doing anything to address this? We are contemplating
      blocking SSH inbound on our firewall and requiring any external
      SSH connection to first connect to our VPN. In some ways it seems
      excessive and maybe even unsustainable. On the other hand,
      protecting our servers is important as you well know.

On some of our linux servers, we're using an open-source piece of software
(the name escapes me at the moment, I'm not the unix/linux guy) that does
SSH login throttling. So, if there are $x failed attempts in $y seconds,
that IP gets blocked for 10 minutes. Obviously, this won't work well for
distributed brute-force attempts, but it's all about security in layers.

Any advice, feedback, or suggestion of best practice is welcome.

Within the same vein as the SSH login throttling, we're looking at turning
on login throttling for our enterprise directory services (LDAP). Most of
our unix/linux servers don't authenticate against LDAP, but we have a
growing number of other services that do either directly or through Shibboleth.

Best & thanks!
...Justin
Justin Sipher
Chief Technology Officer
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY
jsipher () skidmore edu <mailto:jsipher () skidmore edu>
518-580-5909

--
Michael J. Wheeler
Assistant Director, Systems and Networking