Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Patching iTunes and Firefox

From: "Stanclift, Michael" <michael.stanclift () ROCKHURST EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:15:09 -0600

An MSI for iTunes can be extracted from the downloaded installer, then with a couple modifications can be deployed
using Group Policy. There is also a third party bundle of Firefox compiled for MSI at
http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/ that we have been using for a while. In the case of Firefox, they usually lag
behind by a couple weeks in releasing updates, sometimes longer for moves like 3.5 to 3.6, but compared to the
alternative of having much older versions running around it's not bad.

Another site to check out is http://www.appdeploy.com/ as they have a great KB on most applications. In a lot of cases
you'll find applications with EXE wrappers around an MSI that can easily be extracted and deployed. In some cases you
can also run the EXE in a test environment with an before and after tool to create an MSI of the changes.

A good tool to have around also is Orca, it's a Microsoft MSI editor. It's helpful for customizing pre-built MSI files.
It'll let you edit a lot of things like shortcut creation, language packs, default options, file registrations, etc.

We've managed to move from doing large images with a lot of preinstalled software to creating much leaner ones that get
updated through GP/MSI installs when they're added to our domain. It also allows us to use the same image for different
areas based on what applications get pushed to them.

Michael Stanclift | Network Analyst | Computer Services
Rockhurst University | 1100 Rockhurst Road, Kansas City, MO 64110
Phone: 816.501.4231 | Fax: 816.501.4014 | http://help.rockhurst.edu<http://help.rockhurst.edu/>

PHelp keep our campus green, think before you print!
ÏRUCS will never ask you for your password!