Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Patching iTunes and Firefox

From: Kevin Kelly <kck () IAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:22:16 -0500

Hi Lori,

I agree with you that patching 3rd party applications is a challenging and time consuming part of our jobs.  That being
said, it's not impossible if you have the right set of tools.

To patch the two applications that you asked about, I use the psexec tool that is part of PSTOOLS.  It's a free
download from Microsoft.  The basic syntax is as follows:

iTunes:

psexec \\hostname_to_update -s msiexec /qn /norestart /i "\\servername\sharename\iTunes\iTunes.msi"

Assuming all goes well, you will receive an error code of 0

Firefox

psexec \\hostname_to_update -s "\\servername\sharename\Firefox\Firefox Setup 3.5.7.exe" -ms

Again, assuming all goes well, you will receive an error code of 0.

Two good resources to look at for silent installers are:

AppDeploy - http://www.appdeploy.com/
WPKG - http://wpkg.org/Category:Silent_Installers

We use Secunia here to help us identify insecure applications on our client workstations.  It has proven to be an
extremely valuable tool for us and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is responsible for maintain software
applications on a Windows-based OS.  They are now beta testing a patching tool that is supposed to interface a WSUS
server.  Looks interesting.

Feel free to contact me offline if you have any additional questions about the applications that I routinely patch and
how I do it.

Good luck!

Kevin Kelly
Institute for Advanced Study