Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Spam (inbound and outbound) and Malware Protection

From: Jeff Hardy <hardyjm () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:43:32 -0500

On 01/31/2010 04:09 PM, Russell Fulton wrote:
On 30/01/2010, at 4:51 AM, Feehan, Patrick wrote:

We are polling members to determine how they perform e-mail spam and malware protection:

·         How many outsource spam protection (e.g., to Postini)?
·         How many perform spam protection in-house (e.g., using Ironport or Forefront)?

installing Ironport box in the next few weeks.

·         In either case, what service or application do you use?
·         In general, are you satisfied with your solution?

We currently use postfix, amavisd, spam assassin&  two AV packages.

This worked reasonably well until two years ago when the labour of keeping it effective began to bite us.  Since then
the techies have been campaigning to get an appliance or outsource.

We looked at Postini, Borderware and Ironport.  Ironport won because it was flexible enough to cope with our
multi-domain setup.

Russell

If you are familiar with amavisd/spamassassin/etc., you may want to look
at Maia Mailguard.  It provides a feature-rich web frontend to amavisd,
for per-user quarantine and white and blacklist management with a tie in
to Bayes training.  We moved to that a few years ago and have been very
pleased with the results.

-Jeff