Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: High levels of DMCA notifications

From: Dick Jacobson <Dick.Jacobson () NDUS EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:48:04 -0600

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Roger Safian wrote:

I have gotten a few from the Zappas over the last couple years.  They we
not sent to the registered address.

Lately a couple other vendors appear to be trying to get into the
scan-and-notify market also.  They also did not have the correct address
and were flooding us with up to 30 takedown notices per day.  They, like
the Zappas, got a polite notice saying these notices were being tossed and
that they should send notices to the appropriate address if they wanted
them to be recognized as a notice.

I really do try to deal with these as an educatonal opportunity for our
constituents but, in these cases, it seemed to be more useful as an
educational opportunity for the scan-and-notify wannabes.

When I threatened to start treating the notices as SPAM and notify the FTC
they quit sending them rather than taking the time to find the correct
address.