Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

High levels of DMCA notifications

From: "Lorenz, Eva" <evalorenz () UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:46:28 -0500

For us, the overall notices are lower than in 2008 and 2007. Hope that does not jinx us, but we have been aggressive in
educating students.

After encountering the same questions each time we meet with students, I designed an online course that students must
complete. The quiz is continuously updated as new copyright-related scenarios occur on campus and requires students to
answer 12 out of 15 questions correctly for network access to be restored. Correct answers are not provided to the
students and the questions are randomly selected out of a pool of 40+. The settings were used to make sure that there
is some time involved in the quiz and the pool allows me to introduce new scenarios as the technology evolves and the
internet provides additional opportunities to infringe copyright protection.

I noticed that students were mostly worried about time off the network and I remember from my students days that
quizzes were no fun, so I combined both and created the course. My main intention was to reduce the number of first
offenders, we always had a pretty good drop from first to repeat offenders due to an in person meeting and a good
working relationship with the Dean of Students.
The numbers this year are more than 100 fewer notices until November than both previous years.
Like I said before, hope that does not jinx us.

 - Eva

Eva Lorenz
ITS Security
2800 ITS Manning