Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spam Filtering.

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:57:59 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Lopez, Diego
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:13 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Spam Filtering.

Matt,

Miami Dade College is using 2 layers of filtering for our inbound
emails. 1st touch is Microsoft's Hosted Filtering solution (tags mail
via X-header) and the 2nd touch is in-house Sonicwall solution to
maintain personal settings and provide end-user quarantine. We are
happy
with the effectiveness of the hosted solution and we would like to
migrate away from Sonicwall, however the hosted solution does not
leverage our existing authentication services and this would result in
YAUP (Yet Another Username & Password) =(

For what reasons would users need accounts on the Microsoft
hosted solution? For preferences and access to quarantined
mail?

We were looking at the service (EHS) and one thought we had was
to let the service tag the messages but not quarantine them.
Filters in our local Mirapoint system would look at the tags
and if above a specified value would place the messages in
the users' junkmail folders.