Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spam Filtering.

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:27:22 -0500

We’re using MailMarshal on our Exchange environment for incoming messages only.  We’re pretty happy with it, but we’re
getting close to the time to review our options as well.   I have sat through a couple of demos on Ironport and it
looks good too.

A related question – anyone filtering outbound mail, but also allowing constituents to forward their mail to personal
addresses?  I’d like to move us to scanning outbound messages to decrease our likelihood of being black/grey listed and
as another layer of defense against phishing schemes.  However, my guys are having trouble working out the issues with
notifying someone that an outgoing message was blocked when they’re having their mail forwarded.  We’re left with not
notifying them or creating possible mail loops.

Chris

Chris Gregg
Director of Information Technology
Information Resources and Technologies