Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS signature update process

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:23:37 -0500

We first had a very paranoid "try it out on RESNET first" process.  Once we got some trust in our chosen IPS vendor, we
got it approved as a routine change with a security "accept the vendor recommendations as tested" and a "do we need to
augment it" hall conversation (default alow -> default block).

The major issues we've recalled amounted to deadlock-style issues where we had "power fail" open but not deadlock open.
 More money could have engineered around some of the deadlock issues but not all.   Get more insight into your vendors
signature process and leverage that to help make the decision of how much QA you should add on top of it.   Microsoft
-> Does a very good job on patch process with partners IMO.   Oracle (and just about everyone else) -> you'd better
test everything they ship you completely.   Having been on both sides of the vendor/customer,  I think the big thing at
this point you are paying for is the rules + QA process for rules and if people are not willing to talk about it, you
probably have a bad IPS vendor (or sales droid).