Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS signature update process

From: "Bradley, Stephen W. Mr." <bradlesw () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 04:16:50 -0400

I agree with Michael.  We have been running our IPS' for over 5 years now and for the first few years we reviewed each
individual signature and realized it was a lot of effort for very little return.  I can't remember a single instance of
the default setting from the vendor blocking legitimate traffic.

Now we receive the updates and deploy them then at a later date we review the classes to see if there are any that may
need changed from allow to block or vice versa.

steve