Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS signature update process

From: Michael Grinnell <grinnell () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:43:17 -0400

On 8/17/2009 11:15 PM, Fields, Kimberly wrote:
Hello All,

We are currently trying to formalize a process for updating our IPS signatures.  I was looking to see what other people out there
are doing.  Management would like to incorporate a review committee to help ensure legitimate traffic doesn't get blocked.
I'm struggling to come up with a model that would incorporate this.

  Any feedback would be helpful.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may include
AMERIGROUP member(s) information that is legally privileged. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy copies of the original
message.

Is this a big problem for you?  We've been running an IPS for 3 - 4
years now and had 2 cases of rules that blocked legitimate traffic.
Only one of those rules was on by default, and in both cases, it was the
result of poorly coded applications.  In general, I think IPS/IDS
signature updates, like AV updates, are too frequent and granular to
justify extensive change control and review.  I think you're better off
with regularly scheduled updates, a good record of the changes, and good
logs of any blocked traffic.  You can then refer to these artifacts if
an issue comes up and resolve it quickly.  SLAs, etc. may change the
equation a bit, but if your IPS is blocking legitimate traffic
frequently enough to warrant a review committee, I would start looking
for a replacement.

Regards,

Michael Grinnell
Senior Information Security Engineer