Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Forwarding

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:03:55 -0400

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:01:52 EDT, "Patria, Patricia" said:
We allow students and faculty to forward e-mail, but not staff. For staff,
we do prohibit forwarding for security reasons.

Out of curiosity, what security reasons applied to staff but not to faculty?
A lot of faculty handle a *lot* more sensitive data (student info, research
data) than a lot of staff do.  Who handles more stuff you worry about, the
department chair, or the grounds crew?

Or did you *want* to apply it to faculty too, but discovered that it's
feasible to implement for staff, but herding the faculty felines into
accepting it wasn't doable?