Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Forwarding

From: "Michael J. Wheeler" <mwheeler () PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:37:47 -0500

For fac/staff: We do allow forwarding, and after writing a quick script to
check, .01% of our users are forwarding email. But, not all those accounts
are "real" users -- a couple look like they're "general" accounts for
on-campus groups or services. So the actual number of real users is less
than that.

Our email server runs Unix, so a user would have to SSH in to the mail
server and use an editor (vi for dummies anyone?) to create a .forward file
with their destination address in it. We have never provided the users an
interface to doing this easily, but our email admin will also do it upon
request.

For students: We have just completed a full student email migration to
Google Apps. They are also allowed to forward mail. Actually, we're unable
to prevent it with Google Apps. From what I understand, this used to be a
feature, but was rescinded at some point by Google. They have no ETA on
when it will be available again.

--
Michael J. Wheeler
Assistant Director, Systems and Networking

Jay Graham wrote:
Folks,

I know this comes up every once in a while on this group and I hate to
bring it up again, I just want to get a quick read of the landscape and
see if anything has changed over the past year.

Q1: Do you allow forwarding of University email addresses internally
and/or externally? (i.e. Allow username () pitt edu to forward to
username () gmail com)

Q2: Do you treat students any differently than Faculty and Staff?

Q3: If you don't allow forwarding, is more a technical reason or
security reason?

Thanks,
Jay Graham
Lead Technologist