Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Forwarding

From: Mike Patterson <mpatters () IST UWATERLOO CA>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:38:26 -0400

On 21/09/09 8:06 PM, Jay Graham wrote:
Q1: Do you allow forwarding of University email addresses internally
and/or externally? (i.e. Allow username () pitt edu to forward to
username () gmail com)

Yes.  Or more exactly, we don't disallow it.

Q2: Do you treat students any differently than Faculty and Staff?

No.

Q3: If you don't allow forwarding, is more a technical reason or
security reason?

Sort of a reverse answer for this one: there are some on campus who
would like to disallow forwarding, but currently and for the forseeable
future, our mail systems are so decentralized that it would be nearly
impossible (politically) to do this.  I can see compelling technical and
security reasons to disallow forwarding.

Mike