Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Emergency Alert System

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:10:49 -0400

It's a daunting task to try and do this in a "homegrown" fashion.
Basically, you should expect ALL of your communications channels to be
stressed in an event. I think our www site got more hits in a 24 hour
period than it received in a typical month during the 24-36 hours
after our 2007 incident. I remember it being easier to call my friends
 on the other side of the country with my cell phone than to get in
touch with my team across campus.

Here at VA Tech, we opted for a commercial solution. Check out William
Dougherty's presentation on our solution. It's at
http://vascan.org/webdocs/07confdocs/Emergency%20Notification%20Systems-VASCAN%20version.ppt.pdf.

Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab