Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Emergency Alert System

From: David Boyer <David () BVU EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:08:33 -0500

That's actually what worries me about a hosted solution. Since every
student has a notebook, our campus is relying on email and desktop
popups in the event of an incident. An incident that impacts our
internet pipe would result in hosted alerts not reaching campus. We have
plenty of redundancy with our LAN and servers, but not the type of
immediate failover we'd need for a WAN interuption.

Charlie Prothero <Charlie.Prothero () KEYSTONE EDU> 5:59 PM 9/9/2009

Hi, David.  We thought about that briefly and then opted for WENS, a
hosted service.  WENS works well, and there are obviously lots of other
players.  A key point in favor of that approach is that it will still
work in the event of a local incident that disrupts your on-campus
systems…
- Charlie