Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: archiving email

From: "Walters, Caroline (cw8de)" <cw8de () ESERVICES VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:23:46 -0400

Hello All,

I was told about the "archiving emails" below by my colleagues in IT Security/Policy here at UVA - I am not an IT
person and know just enough about computers to get myself into trouble, but I do know Records Management.

To answer the question about how long to maintain an email - you really need to know the content of the email.  Email
in fact is just a transmission method for information and is not what we Records Managers call a Records Series.
Saving all email for one set period of time can cause problems - you either destroy some things too soon or you hold on
to other things too long.  Classifying the email based upon the content is the only way to properly maintain the
records in accordance with any records retention and disposition schedule.  This is the same for any type of
information - the format (email, voicemail, audio tape, video, paper document, microfilm, electronic file or database)
makes no difference in how long you should maintain the information - but the format does come into play when you
decide how to keep the information for the time period required under your organization's retention policies.

Working at a state school, we have records retention and disposition schedules from the state, but every organization
should have some retention schedule which guides the record keeper or custodian (as I like to call them) on how long to
maintain the records.  The custodian is usually the user/creator of the information.  They know the content of the
records, how they are used, and usually if there is another copy somewhere else.

I've heard a lot about automated archiving systems for email and although they are a great idea, they can cause
problems - because if you archive everything you retain multiple copies of the same emails sent to everyone in the
organization and you retain loads of unnecessary information - like meeting arrangement emails (i.e. "are you available
here???"), personal emails, and confidential emails (FERPA, HIPAA related).  Again working at a state school, if we
retain all emails that come and go through our email system (only for faculty and staff) and someone requests them
through a FOIA request we have to spend the time and effort to locate them in the huge archive.  Same goes for
litigation - if someone subpoenas all the email and we have it all, they get it all!!

My answer is set retentions based upon content of the email - and for that matter any type of information regardless of
format.  Train your users to make classification decisions based upon the records series in the schedules, and have
them place emails in an archive with some indexing/classification/metadata - without any metadata (other than a subject
line - and I hope you know most people write terrible subject lines on emails) it is extremely difficult to find what
it is you are looking for in a general email archive.  A metadata field can be linked to the retention schedule and
then the system can remove the emails from the archive once they have met retention.

It's not the easiest answer - such as throwing it all out or keep it all - but the costs involved in finding or not
having information when  you need it could be very damaging!

If you have a records management manager at your school, get them involved in this discussion and the policy you set.

I hope this helped a bit and I'd be happy to answer other questions off the list.
Thanks,
Caroline

Caroline J. Walters, MA, MLS
University Records Officer/Records Management
Information Security, Policy, and Records Office (ISPRO)
Office of the Vice President/CIO
University of Virginia, 2400 Old Ivy Rd.
Box 400898, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4898
Phone: (434) 243-9162
Fax: (434) 243-9197
Email: cjwalters () virginia edu<mailto:cjwalters () virginia edu>