Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Rapier / RPier

From: Guy Pace <gpace () SBCTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:33:54 -0700

Yes, RAPIER is a good tool and useful. Based on Russ McRee's tutorials (from the 2007 ISSA Journal --
http://holisticinfosec.org/toolsmith/docs/february2007.pdf) available online, you can set up the tool suite on a USB.
It should function on any Windows XP or Vista 32-bit platform, as far as I've been able to determine. I haven't tried
it on a 64-bit Windows, but I suspect some parts may work and some parts may not. Yes, there are a few files missing
from the code site. Look in the required files text file to ferret out what you still need Google to find the rest.
McRee's tutorial provides some additional information.

There hasn't been a lot of work done on the product since 3.2, as you can see, since 2007 and the links in the Google
code site for Intel and the development group go nowhere now. Some of the missing files are being maintained elsewhere
and have been improved since then. I recommend reading Russ' article. It provides a practical solution using RAPIER and
the tool is viable until the whole world goes 64-bit.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () sbctc edu