Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: archiving email

From: Brian Desmond <brian.desmond () MORANTECHNOLOGY COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:44:01 -0500

If you have Exchange 2007 and the eCAL, you can use the Message Records
Management functionality that comes with Exchange to do this. You define
managed folders on the server, apply retention policies to them, and then
associate those to users individually via managed folder policies. You can
also put quotas on the folders, specify that any message dropped in the
managed folder is to be journaled elsewhere (e.g. perhaps a long term
archiving tool), and define the behavior when the retention policy expires
(if ever).

Outlook 2007 and OWA are able to show the managed folders as well as their
settings to the client. It's up to the end user to do the actual
classification of the messages though. If you wanted to do this
automatically you'd still need an additional tool from another vendor. I
pasted a screenshot below from Outlook showing one I just made:

Thanks,

Brian Desmond

brian.desmond () morantechnology com

c - 312.731.3132