Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fwd: 6/24/2009 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:43:31 -0400

This listserv in the news  :-)
......Allison  Dolan (617-252-1461)

Begin forwarded message:

Feds Reach Out to Universities Targeted in Massive Spam Operation (See item)

June 23, 2009

Feds Reach Out to Universities Targeted in Massive Spam Operation

Prosecutors are reaching out to universities that may have been victims of spammers who allegedly culled e-mail addresses from more than 2,000 colleges and bombarded students with messages.

It’s the latest twist in a story that broke in April, when prosecutors announced the indictment of two brothers who allegedly used the University of Missouri computer network in a national spamming operation. The spammers are said to have deployed extracting programs that harvested more than eight million student e-mail addresses.

Martin Manjak, information-security officer at the State University of New York at Albany, said that a “U.S. Department of Justice Victim Notification System” e-mail message he received last week was the “first such notice we had received” from the department. He was one of nearly a dozen people from universities around the country to discuss the notifications in recent days on a security listserv maintained by Educause, the higher-education technology association.

“It came out of the blue as far as we were concerned,” Mr. Manjak told The Chronicle. “We had no idea that we had been victimized by these individuals, although we certainly get our fair share of spam.”

The e-mail message the university received, which Mr. Manjak shared with The Chronicle, came from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri. It begins, “Your name was forwarded to our office by law enforcement as a victim (or potential victim)” in the spamming case. The message notifies receivers of their rights as victims and provides instructions for seeking more information. It also tells recipients how to notify prosecutors if they believe they may have “information or evidence that will aid in the prosecution of this case.”

The trial is scheduled to begin November 2, but the e-mail message cautions that “most criminal cases are resolved by a plea agreement.”

Asked if he was sure the notification wasn’t itself a piece of spam, Mr. Manjak e-mailed this reply: “It would be a pretty elaborate hoax if it wasn’t from the DOJ, but I rarely use the word ‘sure’ in anything that deals with Internet security.” —Marc Parry