Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet Firewalls

From: "Ness, Carl J" <carl-ness () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:39:29 -0500

Beware of kitchen-sink devices. If you need a firewall, get a firewall, if you need IPS, get an IPS box. When you're
talking enterprise-class, it really is better to stay away from vendors and solutions that claim to do more than one
thing. Usually they do many things kinda-sorta well. I'd rather have more than one box that does one thing and does it
really well. Soho or branch office, well that's where all-in-one's excel.
Just my .02
Carl

Carl J. Ness, M.S., CISSP
Senior Security Analyst