Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet Firewalls

From: "Daly, Douglas" <DDALY () NYMC EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:39:43 -0400

Good Afternoon Brian,

We have run Fortinet products for many years. The short of it is, they do what they claim but they don't do it as fast
as they say they can. The ASA is our internet firewall and is a more capable product. We run Fortigate 1000A inside the
network as a second (to our endpoint protection) anti-virus scanner - nothing else. We licensed the whole suite but
even when our internet was only a 15Mb/s partial T3, the box was never able to handle the throughput demands of
anti-virus plus anything else. We are recently looked into an upgrade to  the 620 or 3016 but the specs are so marginal
to our needs (we're upgrading to 100Mb/s internet soon) that the published 250Mb/s and 300Mb/s speeds for antivirus are
too close to the possible maximum 200Mb/s (100mb/s full duplex) we could see within the lifespan of the system.  They
do have a 3600 that would work for us but now we are talking too much money and other competitors become more
attractive.

I am a fan of Fortigate and the support is good but you need to buy more than the published specs make you think you
need.

One caveat to all this... I like Fortigate because they do not run the same anti-virus engine as our end point
protection. We don't use the ASA antivirus because it is the same engine. Not much benefit to scanning twice with the
same engine and signatures.

Douglas Daly
Associate Director,
Technical Services